PHYSIOTHERAPY PRACTICE WITHIN THE CANADIAN HEALTH CARE CONTEXT
|2019 Fall Session||September 19 - October 30, 2019||FEW SPOTS LEFT!|
|Registration Deadline||September 6, 2019|
This course meets CAPR’s requirements to understand the knowledge of the practice of physiotherapy within the Canadian health care system. Read more about CAPR’s requirements here. Physical therapy in Canada is carefully regulated.
The goal of this online course is to provide internationally educated physiotherapists with an understanding of the Canadian healthcare system, culture and context for practice. Learners are exposed to a diverse range of topics including: cultural competence, the role of the federal and provincial governments, acts and regulations guiding PT practice and client-centred care in a variety of PT roles and settings
- Each weekly module is facilitated by a practicing Canadian physiotherapist. Your facilitator will be available to answer your questions and give insight to the Canadian healthcare system.
- The online platform used for the course is available at all times of the day. You can choose the time that works for you to complete your assignments.
- A discussion board is available for learners to interact with each other and their instructors. It’s a great way to build your network and talk with practicing Canadian physiotherapists.
- All learners will have access to the University of Toronto Online Resources. This resource can be accessed to continue your learning outside of the course.
- Canadian Cultural Skills and Roles of the Canadian Physical Therapist
- Client-centered Care
- The Role of the Federal and Provincial Government in Health Care
- Regulations and Scope of Practice
- The Continuum of Care: Where Physiotherapists Work
- Teams and the use of Support Personnel
This course is available to physiotherapists educated outside of Canada that want to practice here. Applicants will need to meet the language, and technical requirements.
Applicants are expected to be strong in all areas of English language communication. Applicants are required to submit one of the English language proficiency tests accepted by the OIEPB Program with the following minimum overall scores:
English as a Foreign Language iBT (TOEFL iBT)
Overall score of 92/120 and 21/30 on the writing and speaking sections.
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
Academic Level Overall band score of 7.0.
Confirmation of your scheduled TOEFL or IELTS test will also be accepted (i.e. payment receipt) during the application process, however a scanned copy of the original document of your results must be submitted before the start of the course.
An average score on the CanTEST (standardized English proficiency test administered by University of Ottawa in Canada) of at least 4, with no component lower than 4, plus an oral interview rating of at least 4.5.
English Language Exemption
You may be exempt from the English language requirements above, if you attended a post-secondary school in a predominantly English speaking country (i.e. Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, USA, etc.). A copy of a degree or diploma from the school will be required before the start of the online course.
To access the online course, you will need a computer with an Internet connection, and basic computer literacy skills. Please note that the interface used for the course is best accessed through a computer or laptop.
Our course is designed to work with your schedule. The online course platform can be accessed 24 hours/day, allowing you to choose when you complete your weekly assignments and quizzes. You should expect to spend 4-6 hours per week on assignments. The course includes required weekly readings, videos, and participation in a learner’s discussion board.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete the online application form and upload language documents requirements and pay the course fee upon registration to secure a spot in the course.
Please note that class numbers are limited. If we exceed the maximum number of applicants, you will have the choice to either sign up for the next available course date, or receive a full refund.APPLY NOW
If there are insufficient learners to hold the class, the class will be cancelled and you will receive a full refund. If you withdraw from the course before the registration deadline, you will be given a refund, minus a $75 administration fee. No refunds will be allowed after the registration deadline or for those who fail to attend.